Drops

This page explains the use of "drops." A drop is simply some entity which is dropped by some object using the "drop: parameter. For a detailed list of available drop qualifiers such as quantity, odds, and stacking behavior, see the Parameters page. For syntax tips, see the Drop file page.

Valid Drops

Items
All items can be used as drops. A few items can be spawned in-world as block-like entities using a "VEHICLE_" prefix; see Entity List for details.
Blocks
Most blocks can be used as drops, though some aren't normally dropped in-game (such as IRON_DOOR_BLOCK). See the Entity List for details on which blocks are and aren't normal drops.
Creatures
Creatures can also be used as drops; this will spawn the specified creature on the spot.

Drops can be specified with embedded data values.

Multiple Drops

Multiple drops listed in square brackets are all dropped. Example: drop: [FEATHER, EGG]

Abbreviated syntax (see Parameters) can also be used with brackets. Example: drop: [FEATHER/1-3/90%, EGG/25%]

If used as drops, the "ANY_" group synonyms (see Entity List) will drop a random item from the entities matching their respective category. To drop one of each matching entity, use "EVERY_" instead. (For creature group synonyms that don't begin with "ANY_", you may instead preface the synonym with "^" to drop all members.)

Multiple Drops (Choose One)

Using curly brackets produces only one of the specified drops. Example: drop: {FEATHER, EGG} (one or the other)

Multiple Drops (Choose One via Percentages)

If you specify percentages for any or all drop items within curly braces, the drop is chosen via percentage-based distribution. For example, drop: {FEATHER/50%, EGG/25%} would have exactly a 50% chance of dropping just a feather, exactly 25% chance of dropping just an egg, and 25% of dropping nothing.

If percentage totals exceed 100%, they will be scaled down relative to 100%. (Note: If you list drop items with percentages alongside drop items without percentages, the items without percentages will be assumed to be 100%, and all will then be scaled down relative to a 100% total.). Example: {ZOMBIE/100%, SKELETON/200%} - 100+200=300 so 100 times out of 300 will be a zombie and 200 out of 300 will be a skeleton.

Using Names

You can specify an event to only happen when triggered by a tool with a specific name attached to it. Remember that it's recommended to include colour coding in your tool names, because players can rename items via anvils! (Players cannot add colours to the items they rename.)

You can specify a name on a tool like so:

<ItemName>@!~<DisplayName>

An example would be this:

[email protected]!~&9Super Shovel

If you want to combine enchantments and names, you need to specify the name last, like so:

[email protected]!THORNS#1~Thorny Shirt

You can also display item lore, using this format:

<ItemName>@!~<DisplayName>;<LoreLine1>;<LoreLine2>;<etc.>

An example of this would be:

[email protected]!~&9Super Shovel;§eA very effective;§eearth extractor

If you want to specify a name alone, you can use just "~" without the "@!", but if you want to indicate an enchantment or some other extra data like damage values, you must include both "@" and "!", as "@" parses for extra data (including enchantments), and "!" parses for each enchantment.

An Important Note: If you want to specify colour coding within lore, there is a current bug where ampersands (&) are not read. You must use the section symbol (§) in place of the ampersand, AND you must use UTF-8 encoding, NOT ANSI encoding (which is usually the default).

Special Values

DEFAULT
Produces the default in-game drop (normally not necessary to specify).
NOTHING
Drop nothing (overrides the default). This is implicitly added to an object's drops when one or more of its drops has a chance of 100% (exception: players will still drop their inventories by default, even with a 100%-chance drop specified).
THIS
Drop the object itself. (Note: Blocks which have a different ID as an inventory item, such as redstone wire or beds, will drop the inventory item, not the block.) If used on a creature, will spawn the same sort of creature again (use with caution!).
DENY
This special parameter means to completely cancel the event - as if it never happened. This can be used for any trigger, to deny any event, for any kind of object - both mobs and blocks.
CONTENTS
Drop contents; applicable for the following entities:
When dropping CONTENTS from:Result:
PLAYERDrops the player's inventory.
CHEST, STORAGE_MINECART, DISPENSERDrops all contents.
FURNACE, BURNING_FURNACE, POWERED_MINECARTDrops all contents (any slot).
JUKEBOXDrops the record within (if applicable).
MOB_SPAWNERDrops a single creature matching the spawner's type.
ENDERMANDrops the block being carried.

Money/XP

Money and XP can also be generated via the drop: parameter (eg. drop: XP). The default amount is 1, but other amounts can be specified using either of the available quantity notations (see Parameters). Example: drop: XP/5

XP
Drop some amount of experience orbs. Integers only.
MONEY
Gives some amount of money to the player who triggered the action (requires an economy plugin). Decimals are allowed.
[email protected]
Gives money as above, but at the expense of the object of the action (i.e. a player). May steal less if the object doesn't have the full amount available (zero for non-players). Decimals are allowed.
MONEY_DROP
Money is dropped on the ground as visible tokens (requires the MoneyDrop plugin). The sprite to use for the token is configurable within MoneyDrop's config, as is the monetary worth of each token. Integers only.
[email protected]
Combines the functionality of MONEY_DROP and [email protected]

To reduce the potential for server overload, OtherDrop will group MONEY_DROP and XP drops by digits (example: drop: XP/275 produces one orb worth 200XP, another worth 70XP, and a third worth 5XP).

The dropspread parameter can also be used with MONEY_DROP and XP; see the following examples. (If a percentage is used with dropspread, the result will mimic the TRUE or FALSE behavior listed below depending on its randomized result.) These examples describe intended behavior which is not yet fully implemented.

drop:dropspread: TRUE
(default)
dropspread: FALSE
XP/5Drop 1 orb worth 5XP.Drop 1 orb worth 5XP.
XP/15Drop 1 orb worth 10XP and 1 orb worth 5XP.Drop 1 orb worth 15XP.

If MONEY_DROP were substituted in the above examples, experience points would instead be token worth, where 1 token is worth some monetary value set in the MoneyDrop config. (Example: If 1 token is set to equal $2, then MONEY_DROP/5 would produce what looked like a single token, but it would be worth $10 when collected.)