UploadedAug 17, 2016
Supported Bukkit Versions
Support a hard-working dev! Please consider my other projects:
- API Change: Added PreventBlockBreakEvent to support the new SpleefArena flag in GriefPrevention Flags. It fires when a player is prevented from breaking a block by GriefPrevention, and if cancelled by another plugin, the block break will be allowed instead.
Recent Major Changes
- Claim Expiration - Version 13.6 and higher. Enabled claim expiration on all servers at 60 days of player inactivity (since last login), with the exception of claim owners who have a claim block total of at least 10,000, or a bonus claim block total of at least 5,000. All of this is configurable in config.yml.
- Narrow land claims - Version 12.1 and higher. The config setting for minimum claim size (height and width) has been replaced with TWO settings - width and total area. These new settings default to 5 and 100 respectively, to allow for more narrow land claims, empowering players to more efficiently protect railways and roads, so they might actually do that now rather than rolling the dice and then complaining to admins when someone damages their roads. :)
- Selling accrued claim blocks - Version 11.0.2 and higher. If players sell accrued blocks, those blocks will NOT re-accrue over time.
- Nether portal protections disabled by default - Version 10.6 and higher. For sake of performance, the feature which prevents nether portals from being created in land claims without permission (by creating a nether portal at the corresponding coordinates in another dimension) is turned off by default. You can enable it in your config file. This "grief" is very difficult to execute, opportunities to attempt it are rare, and it's surprisingly expensive to prevent. Even when it works, the "victim" might actually be appreciative, since he didn't have a nether portal nearby already.
- PvP worlds reset - Version 10.4 and higher. This area of the config file has been frustrating for many for a long time. I've rewritten it to be more readable, much easier to edit, and now you can have an empty PvP worlds list on a PvP server, if that's what you want. When you update to this version, you will have to customize this part of the config file again (if you ever customized it at all).
- Finding offline players by name - Version 9.0 and higher. For sake of performance (not producing lag), players and admins can only target offline players who've recently logged in with Grief Prevention slash commands like /trust, /transferclaim, /claimslist, and so on. I plan to keep working on this to make all players targettable without causing a lag problem. This limit on who can be targetted is a temporary solution to work around a problem introduced by the CraftBukkit team when they made the switch to support player UUIDs.
- UUID Conversion - Version 8.1 and higher. During boot, an often very slow, one-time conversion process will replace player names in your data with player UUIDs. This process can take as long as one second for each player who has EVER played on your server. Make a backup before you upgrade, and please be patient. If this process is interrupted, you'll have to restore from backup and start over. This change will ensure players who change their names will not lose claim blocks or access to their land claims. If there's a problem, I need to know whether you're online/offline/bungee, whether in database or flat file mode, I need your boot logs from the conversion attempt, and if possible, a snapshot of your data from before the update.
- Disabled worlds in config - Version 8.5 and higher. If a world is "disabled" for land claims, then no land claims which already exist in that world (including administrative land claims) will be protected. For those upgrading from an earlier version ONLY, to ensure all existing land claims are protected, GP has defaulted worlds which were disabled to allow claims again, including player-made land claims. If this isn't what you want, update your config.yml.
- Piston limiting - Version 8.1.7 and higher. Pistons won't move blocks outside of land claims. This is a huge performance win, but if you want the old rules back, there's a new config option to disable this rule. Yes, players do get an explanation/warning when they place pistons outside of land claims, to avoid confusion for newly-placed pistons.
- /DeathBlow Removed - Version 9.3 and higher. It's no longer necessary, since the items players drop on death are now protected. This protection is on by default in non-PvP worlds, and off by default in PvP worlds. You may customize it in the config file. You can still use /kill to kill a player, although /kill will not send the player's inventory to another player as /deathblow did.
All Recent Changes
- Placing ender crystals now requires build permission.
- Polar bears are never protected in land claims, because they can be situationally aggressive.
- Admins may now teleport into / out of besieged areas if they have the griefprevention.siegeteleport permission.
- Initial message which prompts an automatic soft-muting will now be shown to online admins for transparency.
- Fixed dogs chasing players into no-pvp areas and injuring them there.
- Fixed padded text spam.
- Fixed poetry spam.
- Players can't /siege themselves anymore.
- Now silencing rapid logout/login messages from a player. If the player isn't gone a full 10 seconds, neither his log out nor log back in message will be broadcast. If you're using a plugin which silences or changes logout messages which appears to stop working after this GP update, ask that plugin's developer to reduce their logout event handling priority to "high" or lower so that GriefPrevention will see their changes and respect them. If you don't want to do that or wait for the other developer to respond, you can disable this feature in your config file by changing the time span from 10 seconds to 0 seconds.
- Fixed item duplication in siege mode.
- Fixed wither explosions damaging protected entities.* Improved death message spam blocker.
- Improved logging for /acball.
- Fixed fire-enchanted weapons damaging protected entities on some 1.10 server versions. (Spigot team changed the Bukkit API, breaking this type of protection in GriefPrevention.)
You MUST update your server to 1.10 to use this version of GriefPrevention.
- /RestoreNature will now remove the new 1.10 block types when it's appropriate.
- Polar bears are no longer protected in land claims.
- There are now several new permissions which you can use to grant players higher claim block accrual limits and faster claim block accrual, for example "griefprevention.fasteraccrual". See your config file.
- Fixed players with the "notignorable" permission not receiving any chat from players who try to ignore them.
- Other plugins may now override the /trapped destination in nether worlds (this is related to the TrappedDestination flag in GPFlags).
- Fixed a minor /restorenature bug that prevented some chunks from fully restoring (also log errors about an invalid data value for leaves).
- Added /AdjustBonusClaimBlocksAll (/acball) command to adjust bonus claim blocks for all online players simultaneously. Think rewards for playing at a certain time of day or on a holiday, or free claim blocks for everyone when one player donates to the server fund.
- Fishing rods can no longer pull animals or armor stands without the claim owner's permission.
- Players who have /ContainerTrust or higher permission may now farm beetroot just as they can farm other crop types.
- Boosted performance around piston limitations.
- Boosted general performance for all servers without creative mode worlds.
- GPFlags and similar extension plugins: Pets are no longer protected when PvP is allowed by the extension (pvp arenas, pvp times of day, etc).
- Sticky pistons outside of land claims will retract when there's no block stuck to them.
- GP's claim tools now only operate when in your main hand, so you can use the quick swap key (default f) to quickly toggle between your GP tool and something else. You can even put the stick in one hand and the golden shovel in the other for speedy administration.
- Improved rescuing of players trapped in portals. The delay before rescuing is longer to allow for slower chunk loading with players having slower connections, and if a player relogs while trapped, he'll still be rescued.
- Added a /DeleteAllUserClaimsInWorld console command, which clears all claims in a world except for administrative claims.
- When a siege defender dies, only his drops will go to his attacker, not all of his inventory (better compat with plugins which modify/limit death penalties).
- Fixed a bug which could "expire" land claims for brand new players while they were still in their first play session. Was more likely to happen on newish servers versus servers which have seen more total players.
- Just a quick workaround for a bug in some versions of CraftBukkit. If you've been seeing "ArrayIndexOutOfBoundException" spam in your logs, then you're running one of the affected versions of CraftBukkit.
- Better point+click behavior in snowy areas.
- Dropped /AccessTrust requirement to board a boat in someone's land claim.
- Added /Trust requirement to place a boat in someone's land claim.
- Fixed new boat types being placeable anywhere without permission.
- Fixed shulkers and some other monsters being protected in land claims.
- New player "chest" claims now require claim creation permission.
- Added aliases for DeleteClaimsInWorld.
- Fire protection is back on for everyone all the time. I found a way to make it less heavy on the CPU.
- Players who have build permission can now trample crops. Monsters and animals still can't.
- Stopped leaving 'freed' abandoned pets untameable (bug fix).
- Fixed land claims preventing players from building after the world they're in was set to claims mode = disabled.
- Added support for worlds loaded be Denizen during its boot phase.
- Fixed villagers being killed by creeper explosions (zombies can still kill them).
- Freshly spawned players are now protected from lingering potion damage in PvP rules worlds.
- Players are now protected from lingering potion damage in PvP safe zones (by default, includes all land claims in PvP rules worlds).
- Added a /DeleteClaimsInWorld <world> command, which can only be executed from the server console. Handy when you regenerate one world and not the rest (players get their claim blocks back).
- Freezing ice with the frost walker enchant now requires build trust.
- Cancelled chorus fruit teleportations won't refund your fruit (because you still get the hunger boost).
- Fixed expired claims not automatically cleaning-up when they included the new skeletal horses.
- Fixed /claim creating tiny claims when the new player chest claim radius is set to -1.
- Fixed /claim allowing players to create more land claims than the limit specified in the config file.
- Added a config option to disable the auto-muting of new players who use banned words during their first play session on your server.
- Added more debug logging around claim expirations.
- Teleporting with chorus fruit now requires at least /accesstrust at the destination.
- Fixed ender crystal explosions injuring protected animals.
- Fixed protected ender crystals being destroyed without build permission.
- Fixed lingering potion of harm injuring protected animals.
If you installed GriefPrevention 14.0, you MUST update to 14.0.1 as soon as possible to fix a 1.9-specific exploit. I'm withholding details about the exploit for now because I don't want any griefers to get the info and take advantage. Please update your server as soon as possible, and please do not publicly discuss any details about the exploit. Due to the nature of the exploit, I also recommend you check for updates in any other anti-grief plugins you may be running in other worlds or on other servers.
- Fixed /RestoreNature having no effect on 1.9 servers.
- Fixed golden shovel tool (when configured as the claim modification tool) creating grass paths when you use it.
- Fixed golden shovel annoyances new in 1.9, related to how Bukkit handles the new dual-wielding mechanic.
- Added compatibility with MultiWorld, yet another world-loading plugin.
- Updated the API to support a new "NoExpiration" flag in GriefPreventionFlags.
- When loot dropped by players on death is protected from theft, it's now also invulnerable to damage (like dumping lava on it). Note that if an item is covered by lava even a little bit, the client will stop rendering it. But if you clean up the lava, you'll find your items are still there. Items will still disappear if left for too long.
- Fixed players placing hopper minecarts without permission.
- API updates to support GriefPrevention Flags.
- Performance boosts across the plugin.
- In creative worlds, limited number of "active" (lag-generating, like hoppers and beacons) blocks per land claim based on total claim area. Players with griefprevention.adminclaims permission ignore this limit, and already-placed blocks will not be removed retroactively.
- When admins use /softmute, that now also appears in the GP logs when "administrative activity" is enabled for those logs in your config file. Previously, this only appeared in your verbose server logs.
- Stopped other plugins accidentally breaking GP's anti-death-message-spam feature by setting the death message again after GP silenced it.
- Enabled claim expiration on all servers at 60 days of player inactivity (since last login), with the exception of claim owners who have a claim block total of at least 10,000, or a bonus claim block total of at least 5,000. All of this is configurable in config.yml.
- Performance tuned land claim expiration and then adjusted it to run checks more often, so expired land claims will be deleted closer to their expiration dates.
- Fixed TNT minecarts being placeable without /containertrust.
- Reduced the threshold for muting join/leave messages, to better combat bot spam which focuses on login/logout messages.
- Banned word list now applies to chat and whisper slash commands as well as standard chat.
- Fixed land claims to extending beyond the maximum claim depth (see your config file) in some situations.
- Fixed the automatic chat help (auto-help delivered based on a player's chat asking about land claiming).
- Automatic soft mutes (due to banned words.txt hits from brand new players) are now optionally included in GP's abridged logs under "admin activity". Muted messages due to /softmute can also be added to GP's abridged logs under new heading "muted messages".
- Fixed protected animals taking damage from explosive minecarts.
- Fixed killer bunnies being protected in land claims as if they were passive farm animals.
- Fixed errors in logs when using /claim in between the first and second right-clicks to create or resize a claim with the shovel.
- Gave /Claim an optional radius parameter.
- Fixed some minor issues with /Claim and chest-based land claim creation which were causing errors to appear in server logs.
- Fixed an issue with backward compatibility (for flat file mode claims) which should improve error messaging when there's a problem.
- Added /Claim command to create a land claim centered at the player's current location. If the player doesn't have any claims yet, this land claim will have the same size as an automatic chest-based land claim (radius modifiable in your config file). Land claims after the first require survival players to be holding the land claim modification tool (default golden shovel), keeping that "you gotta earn additional and larger land claims" concept alive. Additional land claims will appear as the smallest square which satisfies the minimum area you've set in your config file. Creative mode players always have access to the tool, so they don't have to hold one to prove it.
- Added /ExtendClaim command to change the size of a land claim or subdivision, especially handy for scenarios like claiming a mountain or extending a land claim into a solid wall as in an underground build, where getting into position to right-click a claim corner block is inconvenient. To use the command, stand in the claim you want to change, face the direction you want to change, and then specify the amount like /ExtendClaim 5 or /ExtendClaim -2. It even works with diagonals. Like the /Claim command, survival mode players will have to hold a golden shovel in hand to prove they have one before they can use this command.
- Added config options to ban players using a command line you specify, so GP can work better with any ban management plugin you have installed. By default, GP writes directly to the server ban list because that way it can record information about the ban like a reason (ex. spam) and a source (GriefPrevention) and show the banned player a message on the way out. The Vanilla /ban command only records a reason.
- To reduce invincible pets scattered about, administratively-deleted land claims (expirations or /DeleteClaim) will automatically set free any pets belonging to the owner of the land claim, allowing other players to tame or otherwise remove them without getting an administrator's help.
- Added permission griefprevention.eavesdropimmune to prevent a player (presumably an admin) from being eavesdropped upon by other admins. Now you can give a player permission to eavesdrop and still eavesdrop on him, whereas before everyone who could eavesdrop was immune to eavesdrop.
- Updated /RestoreNature with lots of new block types added in 1.8. Land restorations will leave less (hopefully zero) player construction behind.
- Equipping a golden shovel while you're standing inside a claim you own will automatically show you the boundaries of your claim, so you can skip the stick-right-click to find your corners.
- Improved claim management where water is involved - now much easier to create claims on water and resize claims when the corner to be adjusted is on water.
- Ensured players who place minecarts on another player's track can get their carts back by only allowing cart placement when the placer has permission to remove minecarts in that same location.
- Added a config option to tweak the delay between a new player joining and his receiving the land claiming manual.
- Whispers from admins can't be ignored.
- Fixed shift-click with stick finding too many claims.
- Improved logging for claim loading problems.
- Fixed blank lines in bad words file causing too many mutes.
- Now displaying player UUID in place of name when his name isn't in your local server data (instead of "someone").
- Fixed some servers losing subdivisions during upgrade.
- Disabled claim creation in worlds where claims will fail to load on next boot (worlds which are not yet loaded at the time GP booted).
- Stopped deleting claims from worlds which do not exist at the time GP boots.
- Messages.yml now supports formatting codes via the dollar sign ($). Find instructions at the top of your messages.yml.
- Added a config option to protect pets outside of land claims even in PvP worlds. Note that pet wolves are NEVER protected in PvP worlds because they have the potential to attack players, who should be able to defend themselves.
- Fixed ip re-use limiter being too aggressive.
- Added permission nodes for /Siege, /UnlockDrops, and /Trapped. All players have the new nodes by default.
- Soft-muted players can no longer send private messages to players who aren't soft-muted (see list of whisper commands in your config file).
- Soft-muted players can no longer use chat commands like /me to work around softmute (see list of chat commands in your config file).
- Made slash command lists for chat and whisper commands smarter - all aliases are now auto-detected so you don't have to tediously research and list every valid command variation. Or a translation - eliminated workarounds to get away with spam or dodge eavesdropping.
- Added a handy comment to the top of the config file, which provides a URL for the setup/config page.
- Added plenty of scary bugs to celebrate Halloween and GriefPrevention's version 13.0. ;) Yes, this is a joke. But seriously, did you know that since I started this project in 2011, GriefPrevention has released more than 200 versions, and has been downloaded about 350,000 times? O.o
- Made monitoring soft-muted messages easier. They will now appear in your server logs, and if you configure your abridged GP logs to include admin activity, they'll also appear there.
- Added an option (default off) to prevent rabbits eating crops.
- API: Added a public datastore method to get all the claims in a specified chunk.
- API: Made the shovel mode enum public.
- Added the griefprevention.seeinactivity permission node, which will show a claim owner's offline time when you inspect his claim with a stick.
- Allowed for adding a player to a personal ignore list while the ignored player is offline.
- Added PvP world options to disable flint/steel and dumping lava buckets near other players. By default the rules are off, so allowing PvP by build.
- Better new player detection for creative mode - this means players in creative mode severs with GP can use MineChat.
- Cleaned up the help experience around some claims-related slash commands.
- Fixed a free claim blocks exploit which was doable on servers where players can /sellclaimblocks.