Terrain Control

Terrain Control User Interface

#1 Jul 22, 2012 at 13:30 UTC - 8 likes
    Hey,

currently I'm working on a TerrainControl User Interface, making it easier to create custom worlds an Biomes. I'm working together with Khoorn and we'll try to solve the "bad documentation"-Problem. It will be possible, to ajust values with Sliders and Checkboxes, as well as it will support a listing of all Biomes and Bo2 objects. Here is a list of planned features:

LAST DOWNLOAD (updated 7.10.2012 17:48)

https://github.com/downloads/Genae/TerrainControl-UserInterface/TerrainControl_UI_0.9.3.jar

Features now:

• Test World creates a bukkit Server with WorldConfig + BiomeConfigs and starts it
    • You can change every world varible with Sliders, Comboboxes, Checkboxes, ColorPickers, FileChoosers or BlockChoosers
    • You can change all Biome Variables, also ReplaceBlock, HeightControl, Resources
    • You can select all the different Biomes by ComboBox
    • Automatic ajusting max Values, if GenerationDepth, LandSize or RiverRarity is changed + Warning, if an other value changes because of that
    • Disables ImageGeneration and oldGenerator Tabs, if they are not needed
    • Tooltips for every World-Variable (I just copyed Komments from the config.ini) by mouseover the Variable Name
    • Tooltips for Biomes
    • Saving Project and exporting Worlds into zip files
    • Test Biome
    • Automatic generation of /tc map by pressing refresh (no server start needed)
    • Monster and Ressource Variables have global lists for easy copying
    • Choose your favourite seed (Mysources is default)
    • Custom Biome Directory: All you custom Biomes from every world land here.

What is not working now but on first release

• add possibility for description and images for custom biomes

Futur Features (for sure):

• Bo2 (bo3?) Objects

Futur Features (maybe):

• editing Image for Image Generator
    • viewing 3D map when testserver is started without logging in (Dynmap?)
    • all the other stuff that comes to my mind while im writin sourcecode :)
    • supporting common Mods (BC, IC) by adding theire Ores to standard configuration
    • -> also providing Oil-BO2s (We're also trying to get oil spawned naturally, like in Buildcraftplugin. Test are running soon)
    • set of BO2s for free use maybe asking some of the Developers of Deandroc-World
    • adding custom Blocks (SSP only?)

Here is a little screenshot of a first impression:

TerrainControl UI

I'm working on this program since Mo. 16 Juli, the first beta client for you may be released in a few days. Nevertheless a fullrelease may take some time, so you'll have to wait a little bit ;) Genae

PS: The programm is written in java, so it may be compatible with your MAC or Linux, but I'll test it in Win 7 64bit and Win7 32 bit only.

PS2: Don't complain about my english pls, I'm not a native speaker ;)

Last edited Oct 07, 2012 by Genae
    #2 Jul 22, 2012 at 14:34 UTC - 0 likes

Looking good! This will certainly help beginners to get into TC - I've always thought it wasn't just about documentation but about the plugin beeing both extremely powerful and difficult to understand. I'm looking forward to the first release.

#3 Jul 22, 2012 at 15:39 UTC - 0 likes
    Quote from Burckhart: Go

I've always thought it wasn't just about documentation but about the plugin beeing both extremely powerful and difficult to understand.

this is true, many people are lazy to work with tc config files.
    anyway this is looking awesome.

best minecraft server ip = localhost

#4 Jul 23, 2012 at 10:02 UTC - 0 likes

Map Image Generation works ;)

Just added an intro pic and icons.

What do you think: I made map image generation in an extra thread, so you can work, while image is generated. Should this image be refreshed everytime you change a setting (takes 2-3sec on my system, will take longer on yours :P) or should I just leave the refresh button, so you can refresh the Image everytime you want to see a new one?

Last edited Jul 24, 2012 by Genae
    #5 Jul 26, 2012 at 22:21 UTC - 0 likes

SO,

here is a little preview of what I'm planning.

I deaktivated every read and write, its just an overview about the User Interface itself. (image refresh works not because of the same reasons)

TerrainControl UI

If you find some buttons, I need to add, pls tell me ;) (e.g. I need a button to add new ids to ressources, like ores or plants, next to the dropdown box)

This is using the full-release configs, so new features like waterlevel per biome are not added now.

I'm working as a pool attendant, so I've got no time for coding, untill the bad wether arrives (should be saturday/sunday)

#6 Jul 26, 2012 at 23:47 UTC - 0 likes

What i really would want in this great app, is a template / parent function mainly for placing ores. One ore configset that acts as a defealt, so in other biomes you can select from wich set it copies its settings. I made a customized ore distribution, wich are the same in each biome, there about 100 ORE() lines per biome. changing one little tweak means i have to copy it over to all other biomes. Wich is a pain in the behind.

I had some trouble opening it with java 1.7 , than i realised it was written in 1.6 and I could open it with eclipse :) I really cant wait to use this tool, it looks so great and it will save me a lot of time. Keep up the good work, you did a great job already !!!

greets Sat

#7 Jul 27, 2012 at 08:22 UTC - 0 likes

@saturnineNL: Go

As i wrote with Khoorn, I heard that it would be better to place all Ressources in a list. The "tabs" would then become popups.

so I add an checkbox "use this settings in all Biomes" wich will copy it automatically, when its changed? Cause the list already is "global" therefore I added the "use this ore" checkbox. Just the settings are not copied now.

Last edited Jul 27, 2012 by Genae
    #8 Aug 01, 2012 at 16:06 UTC - 0 likes

this is really awsome, looking forward to it very much!

I think in the future we should come up with better and more detailed explanations for the different settings, for both the comments in the config files as well as the tooltips in this GUI. I'll gladly help with that

#9 Aug 01, 2012 at 17:10 UTC - 0 likes

I'm happy to here that, we may add an internal wiki, so that not every single variable is explaint with a Toltip, but yu can also read how they wrk together.... I'll think about that....

Here is a small versin, where you can try ImageGeneration. It will create a Folder TerrainControl in your userDirectory (for me it is C:\Users\myName oO\TerrainControl)

TCUI ImageTest

Other ideas I had:

• 3d preview of BO2 files.
    • auto convert schematic to bo2

But I'm still quite busy with rewriting my code to fit Khoorns for better "updateability" (Yeah I was to dumb, I should've never wrote my own config files)

Have fun with this test and if you want, you can write me how long it takes for you to refresh image.(for me it takes 10sec)

Last edited Aug 01, 2012 by Genae
    #11 Aug 02, 2012 at 18:31 UTC - 0 likes

Well I came to the following solution:

• EVERY resource added to ANY Biome is shown in the list of EACH Biome.
    • Those resources have the option use in this Biome with which you can add it to another Biome and change the settings.
    • When you change the Biome you're editing, the Resource settings of the spezific Biome are loaded.
    • Ressources also have the option copy settings for all Biomes which will copy the settings, but NOT wether they're used or not. -> That means: All Dirt is spawned in the same way, in every Biome use in this Biome is selected.

Is that handy?

Last edited Aug 02, 2012 by Genae
    #12 Aug 02, 2012 at 21:43 UTC - 0 likes

I had that idea and talked about it with Khoorn a couple weeks ago. But I definitely did not had the skills to do it. I'm really happy that someone did it though.

I tried your GUI test and it is GREAT. Bravo !

Iif you want me to, I could do the language file in both English and French.

In the world tab under Biomes's section there is a place where you select Normal, Ice, Isle, Border and Custom Biomes. Is it because when you modify the general height it change the biomes values depending on its type ? Because if it's the case you should had a Mountains biomes, beaches biomes, ocean biomes. So they get adjusted accordingly.

There is some improvement that could be nice.

- An Easy and Advanced "version". The easy version (integrated in the advanced version) hide a lot of setting for fine tuning and leave the basic settings for the beginners and automate the rest.

- A way to generate a 2D graphical preview of the world average height or setting. Something that could look like that Level preview

lowest ... highest (not sure exactly what the X and Y scale could represent...) (Y would probably be block height) (X could be block by type or % of block or something else... i seriously have no idea what could help us to figurate how the world will look like... Maybe for the world preview it could be one column by biome type and one color for the arithmetic average height and one for the max and min and one for the fracture...) And maybe a graph for each biomes tab.

- maybe adding a way to batch process the setting. For example setting one particular setting the same in every Biome in one click.

- can you select the size of the map preview ?

- adding a preview button in each biome that create a small map of that biome only. Like 200x200 or so. and display it with dynmap or simply start a server that you can join and try the map for real.

- creating a standard test map for testing biome transition and look. Like a relatively small map where every biome is present and where you can easily go from one and other. Could be a standart png map containing every biome type. it dosent need to be created automatically.

- this program will defenetly need its Wiki web site. I don't think popup will be precise enough. (A wiki is definitely the other main thing to work on right now)

(I agree with the idea of adding function to work with other mods like IC2 or Tekkit) But the first thing to do is to make a full release that work with vanilla. (and what about making it a part of the TC mod itself)

Do you know if a new version of TC is coming soon since Minecraft 1.3.1 is out ? (its just a question)

If you have questions or if you want a beta tester I'm wiling to help since its the greatest mod I've seen in a long time.

#13 Aug 02, 2012 at 22:06 UTC - 0 likes

@Patrix87: Go

Quote from Patrix87: Go

Iif you want me to, I could do the language file in both English and French.

That would be a good idea, I would write the german language then. But it's a bit to early for that now ;)

In the world tab under Biomes's section there is a place where you select Normal, Ice, Isle, Border and Custom Biomes. Is it because when you modify the general height it change the biomes values depending on its type ? Because if it's the case you should had a Mountains biomes, beaches biomes, ocean biomes. So they get adjusted accordingly.

For now I can just use the Variables from the config file. I have no direct influenze on the generation process, I'm just writing configfiles. The selection is just the same than in WorldConfig.ini

- An Easy and Advanced "version". The easy version (integrated in the advanced version) hide a lot of setting for fine tuning and leave the basic settings for the beginners and automate the rest.

Yep, thought about that, too. I think this easy version would disable some options.

- A way to generate a 2D graphical preview of the world average height or setting. Something that could look like that lowest ... highest (not sure exactly what the X and Y scale could represent...) (Y would probably be block height) (X could be block by type or % of block or something else... i seriously have no idea what could help us to figurate how the world will look like... Maybe for the world preview it could be one column by biome type and one color for the arithmetic average height and one for the max and min and one for the fracture...) And maybe a graph for each biomes tab.

Hmm, not sure if this will work, because therefore chunks have to be spawned. But they are just generated, when a player loads them, so this might not be possible.

- maybe adding a way to batch process the setting. For example setting one particular setting the same in every Biome in one click.

This is what I already added (actually I'm working on it) for ressource spawning. But its a good idea, I'll think about it.

- can you select the size of the map preview ?

Already works on my machine ;)

- adding a preview button in each biome that create a small map of that biome only. Like 200x200 or so. and display it with dynmap or simply start a server that you can join and try the map for real.

Did you see the (disabled) buttons testWorld and testBiome? They create a craftbukkit server (normal settings for testWorld, only one Biome for test Biome) in creative mode, so you can fly.

- creating a standard test map for testing biome transition and look. Like a relatively small map where every biome is present and where you can easily go from one and other. Could be a standart png map containing every biome type. it dosent need to be created automatically.

I tried dynmap, but chunks are not loaded until I enter the world.

- this program will defenetly need its Wiki web site. I don't think popup will be precise enough. (A wiki is definitely the other main thing to work on right now)

Yep, but a popup can have a scrollbar, so there could be as much text as you want. And the popup could eventualy read the online wiki and put that text in there, if an Internetconnection is available. But therefor, someone has to write a wiki ;)

(I agree with the idea of adding function to work with other mods like IC2 or Tekkit) But the first thing to do is to make a full release that work with vanilla. (and what about making it a part of the TC mod itself)

I know, this needs time. For options available in first release look up the first post :P

Do you know if a new version of TC is coming soon since Minecraft 1.3.1 is out ? (its just a question)

Yep.

If you have questions or if you want a beta tester I'm wiling to help since its the greatest mod I've seen in a long time.

I'll need beta tester soon, your welcome ;)

#14 Aug 02, 2012 at 23:38 UTC - 0 likes

So, here is a new Version: (also postet it into first Post)

TerrainControl_UI

Major Changes:

• remake of Resource section
    • changed initial Imageradius to 100 chunks for better startup time
    • changed Font to Ubuntu (Times New Roman is sooo overused) and added Font to resources/font folder
    • Height Control works now
    • I'm using Khoorns Config files now

What will happen now?:

• I'm having a short trip to Munich and I'll be back on Monday/Tuesday
    • After that I'll reactivate TestWorld and activate TestBiome.
    • Then I'll have a look onto this Thread and find a lot of usefull ideas of YOU I really want to add ;)
    #15 Aug 03, 2012 at 02:36 UTC - 0 likes

@Genae: Go

Try Dynmap + Worldborder.

Worldborder has a function to generate all the chunk inside the world border. At the same time if dynmap is loaded it will generate the map. if not use fullrender command for dynmap.

forget the thing about the graph. The biome test map is enough.

I could work on the Wiki.

#16 Aug 03, 2012 at 08:58 UTC - 0 likes

I'll try world border, I'm not sure, if I can use Dynmap commands from another plugin...

About the wiki: I do not have enough pracsis with TC so I wont be able To help with that. But a wiki would be a great thing, so do it ;)

#17 Aug 03, 2012 at 12:53 UTC - 0 likes

@Genae:
    I like your ideas :) that would be great.

Also what i was thinking about just now. If there is a config part of the app where you can add your own (test) server information and or an ftp setting set up. With this info you can make an upload to server button. Its not something i would really need, but it could be easy to use.

keep up the excelent work :)

greets Sat

#18 Aug 03, 2012 at 16:37 UTC - 0 likes

@Genae: Go

Every Rarity should be renamed as Probability or quantity or chance... because for example an IceRarity of 100 on 100 should mean that ice is 100% rare... which is a kind of double negation and is hard to understand. Because IceRarity on 100 on 100 is in fact a 100% chance that water will be frozen. same for every rarity variable.

#19 Aug 03, 2012 at 18:50 UTC - 1 like

I will add settings, where you can set directories ect. This will be needed anyways, because you will have to select a TC and craftbukkit version.(For now I think i will NOT put those jarfiles into TerrainControlUI so you'll have to download them manual and tell me their location)

@Patrix87: Go

Yeah, already thught about renaming the Variables, but:

• I'm using the labeltexts to find the values (bad style, will change, but was easy oO)
    • I want configfile and UI to be as similar as possible, so there are no cnfusion fr people using TC for a long time
    • When I add langugefile support, all Texts will be replaced anyway, so I don't worry about it now ;)
    #20 Aug 04, 2012 at 22:43 UTC - 0 likes

I wholeheartedly believe that a lot of users would benefit from renaming the original variables. I just recently started using TerrainControl and found the whole learning process to be much more difficult than it should be. Don't get me wrong, the TerrainControl plugin is magical. So are you for putting together this UI! Thank you!

Oh, and here's a few ideas that were bouncing around my head as I was reading the thread:

• You could add an option to the UI that switches between the original and renamed variables.
    • You could incorporate the option into the Novice/Adept(Easy/Advanced) idea by showing the renamed variables in Novice and the original variables in Adept.
    • Land Probability (default:LandRarity) It doesn't seem like it would be too ugly to do something like this either.
    • Ability to Copy/Clone Biomes (??Menu with checkboxes to select what information to copy: All,Resources,Terrain,General,Etc..?)
    • Ability to Create/Save custom resource lists and apply them to any/all Biomes. (??Two buttons: All + Selection [??Menu with Checkboxes to Individual Biomes])
    • Configurable 'Baseline' algorithm that can set or alter Default Biomes to be more natural/flush/chaotic (Height/MaxHeight/Volatility/Etc.) Maybe based on Waterlevel and a few other things? If anyone wants to send me their config files for a baseline, I'll try to work on it myself.

I realize this is still early in the development of this plugin, everything can't be done at the same time. Priority wise, my most anticipated features are being able to export the files to a constructed World Directory and Custom Biomes. I'm excited! If you end up needing any help with anything let me know, I don't mind renaming variables or writing anything else you might need for the English Wiki/Tooltips. I'm also fairly handy with Photoshop if you decide your UI needs a graphical update.

#21 Aug 05, 2012 at 22:53 UTC - 0 likes

What I realized is that noboby really knows what the variable exactly do... So we should make a team and seriously work on the Wiki.

There is that wiki https://github.com/Wickth/TerrainControl/wiki

but its a mess right now....

But it still contains a lot of valuable information.

But I think an outside wiki like for example the Dayz wiki http://www.dayzwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

or http://www.skyrimwiki.com/Skyrim_Wiki or http://wiki.terrariaonline.com/Terraria_Wiki

would do a better job.

I could host it during the development part and later transfer it to a real server.

You must login to post a comment. Don't have an account? Register to get one!