AUTOMATICALLY PREVENTS ALL FORMS OF GRIEF, including build/break, theft, spam, fire, spawn camping, lava and more, so you don't have to undo any damage after the fact. No configuration or database required! Stop responding to grief and prevent it instead. Grief Prevention will solve your grief problems without requiring you to manage a roster of trained administrators, juggle 10 different anti-grief plugins, take away cool standard game features, publish a training manual / tutorial for players, or add explanatory signs to your world. You can also choose to integrate PvP elements into build design to finally get a PvP experience befitting a sandbox game about creativity.
Grief Prevention stops grief before it starts automatically without any effort from administrators, and with very little (self service) effort from players. Solve all your grief problems with a single download, no database, and no configuration step.
Official Servers (Try it for yourself!)
You can experience this plugin for yourself (as a player) by joining any of these public servers. :) We maintain these servers personally, which helps us catch bugs and spot opportunities for new features and improvements. Have fun!
- BeardCraft bit.ly/beardcraftfb
- Epic Minecrafter play.epicminecrafter.com
Yes, everything is customizable. See Setup and Configuration.
- No database or world backups required.
- Extremely efficient CPU / RAM usage.
- Land claims are easy to manage.
- New players get automatic claims around their first chests.
- Players who ask for help in chat get an instant link to a demonstration video.
- Resizing claims and creating new claims is done with ONLY the mouse, no slash commands.
- When a player appears to be building something nice outside his claim, he's warned and shown his claim boundaries.
- Claim boundaries are easy to see, and don't require any client-side mod installation.
- Extremely easy-to-remember, single-parameter slash commands for giving other players permissions.
- Claim subdivision and granular permissions are available to organize towns and cities. Watch this video.
- It's IMPOSSIBLE to grief a land claim. Watch this video.
- No building or breaking.
- No stealing from ANY containers.
- No sleeping in beds.
- No button/lever usage.
- No adjusting redstone repeaters.
- No pushing blocks in with pistons.
- No pulling blocks out with pistons.
- No TNT damage.
- No creeper damage.
- No damage from TNT cannons.
- No explosive damage from other plugins, like Extra Hard Mode or Magic Spells.
- No enderman block changes.
- All doors may be automatically locked (optional, see config file).
- No killing or luring animals away.
- No stealing water.
- No trampling crops, by players, animals, or monsters.
- No growing trees inside the claim by planting outside.
- No building overtop, all claims reach to the max build height.
- No placing or breaking paintings / item frames.
- Fluids will not flow into a claim from outside.
- Excellent anti-spam protection
- Warns, then mutes, then may kick or ban spammers (configurable - you choose).
- Most spammers get only one message out before they're muted.
- Almost no false positives.
- Blocks server advertising.
- Blocks repeat message spam.
- Blocks ASCII art (ex. Nyan Cats) spam.
- Blocks similar message spam.
- Blocks unreadable (gibberish) message spam.
- Blocks CAPS.
- Blocks macro spam (very different messages in quick succession).
- Blocks login/logout spam, even when the spammer has multiple accounts.
- Blocks death spam.
- Blocks bot team spam.
- Blocks slash command spam, including /tell, /emote, and any more you add.
- Wilderness Protection and Rollback
- Fire doesn't spread or destroy blocks.
- Creepers and other explosions don't destroy blocks above sea level.
- TNT doesn't destroy blocks above sea level.
- No planting trees on platforms in the sky ("tree grief").
- Instant, point and click nature restoration for not-claimed areas. Watch this video.
- Insanely easy and fast fixes for penises, swastikas, and anything else unsightly.
- Point at what you don't like and click, and it's fixed. Even from far away.
- Never accidentally changes blocks inside land claims.
- No need to investigate who built it, who broke it, or when they did it.
- Doesn't matter if the griefer built with "natural" blocks, it will still be fixed.
- No database.
- No backups.
- No chunk regeneration (it's dangerous for technical reasons).
- Fixes bad chunk generations, like floating islands. It will be better than new.
- Fills holes, even next to water to correct big spills.
- Smooths noisy terrain.
- No griefer construction is safe. If it's unnatural enough to be noticeable by players, it will be removed or filled-in.
- Land claims can't be used as a griefing tool.
- Land claims beyond the first require a golden shovel.
- Minimum claim size prevents sprinkling small claims to annoy other players.
- Max claim allowance grows with time played on the server, and can't be cheated by idling.
- It's impossible to get a player "stuck" inside a land claim.
- A simple administrative slash command will instantly remove all of a griefer's claims, no matter where they are.
- Catches clever griefers.
- Enhances the /ban command to ban ALL a griefer's accounts (not just his IP address).
- Logs sign placements.
- Optionally, logs whispers and opens them to administrative eavesdropping.
- /SoftMute command to shut down chat trolls without them knowing they're beaten.
- PvP Protections.
- When PvP is off, no setting fire or dumping lava near other players.
- Absolutely bullet-proof anti-spawn-camping protection, which requires no configuration.
- No logging out, stashing items, or using plugin teleportation to escape combat.
- Optional siege mode, to answer players who hide in their claimed houses to avoid combat.
- Supports your server growth.
- Permit players to exchange server currency for claim blocks (requires configuration and other plugins).
- Grant claim blocks automatically for votes, donations, etc (console command provided, other plugins required).
- Setup and Configuration
- How To Guide for Administrators
- Command and Permissions Reference
- Troubleshooting and Common Questions
- Extension Plugins
- PvP Protection and Optional Siege PvP Mode
- How Anti-Spam Works
- Compatibility with non-CraftBukkit Servers
- Notes on Performance
More Great Plugins!
- Limits how quickly players can mine valuables, based on their play time / values mined ratio.
- Keeps your valuables in the ground, so non-cheating players can find them (unlike ore loggers).
- Practically free to run, unlike the tremendously expensive Orebfuscator.
- Most legit players won't notice, but xrayers will ragequit and move on.
- Population Density
- Automatically assigns new players to wilderness where they'll find other new players and plenty of space, wood, and ore.
- Optional teleportation system which can't be abused by players to escape combat or save them from being lost.
- Login queue to guarantee fairness when the server is full.
- Optional reserved spots for administrators.
- Automatically removes idle players when the server is nearly full.
- Allows the use of Hoppers with EnderChests inside a Claim
- Items are taken from and added to the EnderChest inventory of the Claim owner
- Supports The Better Ender Chest Plugin
Project Status and Future
From BigScary: I've re-joined the project. Yes, I know many of you had a very bad experience with the beta builds, there were many bugs. We've rolled-back the buggy features which were added after I left the project, and then I continued the project from there as if I hadn't left in the first place. So far, I've added UUID support, greatly improved performance during play time and boot time, blocked new grief strategies made possible by changes to the game since I last worked on the project, cleaned up the config files, and tweaked several features for much improved player and administrator experiences.
Because all of the Bukkit staff have simultaneously quit the project, it's extremely unlikely that Bukkit will ever be updated to support Minecraft 1.8 or later servers. Also, there's a legal issue which resulted in all craftbukkit builds being removed from the internet in general. The law is slow, so that makes future bukkit versions even less likely.
Due to these circumstances, my current plan is to wait for a new mod platform to emerge (spongepowered.org is looking promising), then build a new grief prevention plugin for that new platform. Until then, I will continue working on this project as I always have. No other project I've ever worked on in my career as a software engineer compares to GriefPrevention's mix of fun, challenge, and importance to the community.
How to Upgrade to 8.0+ Builds
Starting with GriefPrevention 8.0.3, you can keep any claims and player data that was created by the broken "beta" builds. You just have to customize your config file again (a new config.yml will be generated in a folder named "GriefPreventionData").
Starting with GriefPrevention 8.1 which supports UUID (player name changes), GriefPrevention will do a one-time data update during boot. This can take a very long time - up to 1 second for each player who has ever played on your server. This is because GP has to contact Mojang via the interwebs to get the correct UUID for each player. At this time, it seems this process works well for offline mode and online mode servers, but there are mixed reviews for the hybrid "Bungee Cord" configuration (try it, but back-up first!). In any case, please back up before you take on this major update. If you have any problems, restore your data from backup, use the older version of GP which was working for you for now, and get your logs to me so I can investigate. :)
Please Vote for Grief Prevention
I've just posted Grief Prevention on the Spigot site. If you love GP, please take a couple of minutes to give GP your rating and leave a short review. Better rating and positive reviews will help server owners who look for plugins on the Spigot site make the safe choice (GP) instead of downloading something sketchy or incomplete. :) Thanks so much for all your support!
- Date created
- Dec 14, 2011
- Last update
- Nov 22, 2014
- Development stage
- GNU General Public License version 3 (GPLv3)
- Curse link
- Grief Prevention
- Recent files